May 7, 2022
Bob Woodruff and Oak Point Parks, Plano
The final orienteering event of the season will be a big Score-O in Bob Woodruff and Oak Point Parks in east Plano. Together the two parks have a trail network that traverses a variety of terrain, from deep woods to blackland prairies. The mapped area is over 1,000 acres along a four-mile length of the Rowlett Creek valley.
There are no designated courses in a Score-O. During a Score-O the objective is to find as many control points as you can within the time limit. There will be points of varying difficulty scattered throughout the entire area. There’s no preset course to follow and therefore no penalty for missed points, just credit for those you find. But watch your time. Overtime penalties can pile up fast!
We’ll be offering two courses:
Short: 90-minute time limit
Long: 3-hour time limit
The following classes (Female and Male divisions) will be offered:
Age 13 and under, age 14-16, age 17+
Age 18 and under, age 19-44, age 45+
Scoring: We’ll be using manual punch, not e-punch, for this event.
Please be sure to check the NTOA Facebook Page or Group for last-minute schedule changes.
|8:30 – 9:45 am||Registration open|
|9:00 am||Boy Scout Merit Badge Clinic|
|9:20 am||Beginner’s Clinic: Open to all!|
|9:45 am||Pre-race briefing for all|
|10:00 am||MASS START! WOOHOO!|
|11:30 am||Finish time for Short course|
Short course card scoring
|Noonish||Short course awards ceremony|
|1:00 pm||Finish time for Long course|
|1:00 – 1:30 pm||Long course card scoring|
|1:30 pm||Long course awards ceremony|
Individuals (1 person navigating on their own):
Only individuals can officially compete (awards for top 3 in each class) at NTOA events. But even if you’re doing it on your own just for recreation, please sign up as a (competitive) individual. Members and youth (aka, Juniors, age 19 and under) pay reduced event fees. (So join, and save some bucks!)
|Adults: NTOA and other O Clubs||$15|
|Juniors/Youth: Age 19 and under||$10|
Recreational teams (2 or more people navigating together):
Orienteering is a great family activity! Teams aren’t eligible for awards, but have just as much fun. Base fee of $17 covers the first 2 team members and 2 maps. Add people for $5 each. Kids under age 8 are free (after first 2 team members paid).
|First two team members||$17|
|Each additional team member age 8+||$5|
We use the pre-registration numbers to determine how many pre-printed maps to produce for each event. Pre-registration is FREE and opens about 2 weeks before each event. so please take a moment to do it. Thanks!
Questions about registration? Contact the NTOA Registrar. For questions on other event matters, contact the Meet Director (listed above).
Instructions: Select one of the options below to register yourself, the students of your school group, or your fun recreational team. Clicking on one of the buttons will take you to our separate NTOA Registration website.
Note: If you don’t belong to a club/school or yours isn’t listed on the Registration site, please choose Other, Other O Club or Other School. Thanks!
Registration is closed. 🙁
Enter 1 competitive individual at a time.
Enter 1-20 competitive individuals from the same group (e.g., school, club, Scout group, JROTC unit).
Enter 1 recreational team (min. 2 people; max 5 people).
See who else is registered
From the south:
- Take US 75 north to Plano.
- Take Exit 29A for Park Boulevard.
- From the Frontage Road, turn right (east) at the Denny’s onto E. Central Parkway, and go 0.5 mile.
- At the traffic light, turn right (east) onto Park Boulevard and go 3 miles.
- You’ll cross a small bridge as you pass through the park. A small lake should be visible to your left.
- After the park, take the second left (north) onto San Gabriel Drive and go 0.5 mile, through the neighborhood and past the elementary school.
- Turn left (west) into the Bob Woodruff Park – North parking lot.
From the north:
- Take US 75 south to Plano.
- Take Exit 32 for Spring Creek Parkway, and stay on the frontage road for about 1 mile.
- At the traffic light, turn left (east) onto Spring Creek Parkway and go 2 miles (past Collin College campus).
- At the traffic light, turn left (east) onto Parker Road and go 0.4 mile.
- At the traffic light, turn right (south) onto San Gabriel Drive and go 1.1 mile.
- Turn right (west) into the Bob Woodruff Park – North parking lot.