Date: Nov 18-26, 2023
Location: Arbor Hills Nature Preserve, Plano (Google Maps)
Located on the western border of Plano, Arbor Hills Nature Preserve is a 200-acre park featuring areas of natural beauty for walking, jogging, hiking, orienteering and other outdoor activities.
This event will be “orienteering without the meet,” as we starting doing under COVID. Also, Arbor Hills Nature Preserve would like us to minimize the impact on the terrain by holding a virtual meet spread over several days rather than have us all descend at once. In the past, this was one of our more popular venues and our events started to get too big. So, we’re always happy to be back.
The event will begin when the Preserve opens on Sat., Nov. 18 and extend over 9 days through Sun., Nov. 26. That’s right: This is the perfect post-Thanksgiving outdoor exercise!
You will be able to download and print a map and clues to take to the park. You can choose any day and time you want to orienteer (while the park is open, of course). Think of it as a training event, or a permanent course that lasts only several days. There will be no onsite NTOA presence: no registration tent, no lines, no scoring or DQs, no awards. Just orienteering fun. Bring your own water and gear. Instead of control bags, controls will simply be colorful ribbons hung in the terrain.
Meet Director & Course Setter: Stan Darnell
We’ll be offering three courses: Yellow (shortest and easiest), Brown (short and more advanced) and Green (longest and most advanced).
A Merit Badge clinic will not be offered, but completing the Yellow course will qualify for the badge. Please contact BSA Liaison Ralph Courtney for instructions on doing the required report.
Controls will be in the field when the park opens (see hours of operation below) on the morning of Sat., Nov. 18. The event ends when the park closes on Sun., Nov. 26 and controls will be removed on Mon., Nov. 27.
Arbor Hills Nature Preserve: hours of operation
Every day but Wednesday: 5 am to 11 pm
Wednesday: Special hours — 2 pm to 11 pm, closed from 5 am to 2 pm for maintenance
We aren't changing an event fee for this event, but we welcome donations to help us cover club overhead such as insurance coverage. Via PayPal (firstname.lastname@example.org) // Via Zelle. (email@example.com)
1. At 6 pm on Friday, Nov. 17, return to this page and click the Proceed button below to sign an online waiver. You'll then be taken to the map print page. NOTE: EVENT IS OVER.
2. Arrange for your own “runner accountability.” We recommend telling a friend or family member where you are going and when you plan to finish. Provide them with a copy of the map. Or, you may choose to meet another orienteer at the venue and run simultaneously.
3. It’s an urban park, but it still includes brushy areas, so dress accordingly. Don’t forget to bring your own water.
4. Run or walk your course. Find the ribbons. Enjoy!
5. Check in with the person you made plans with in Step 2.
6. If any ribbons are missing, contact the course setter so he can replace them.
Optional: Go out and enjoy again as often as you like during the DIY period. You could try another course, do your first course backwards, or do the controls in your own unique order.
Street address: Arbor Hills Nature Preserve, 6701 W Parker Rd, Plano, TX 75093